Last Wednesday, ten RoboDawgs went to the State Capitol. Our team was one of the top eight teams in Michigan which were selected to participate in the 2015 Robotics Day at the State Capitol. It was an exciting day for our team, as our students got a chance meet with a variety of lawmakers and show them what we do. We had robots from a variety of our programs with us including VEX robotics and FIRST robotics. Of more interest to our visitors, team members also displayed and explained some of our other programs, including our quadcopters, autonomous boats, 3D printing, CNC, and high altitude balloon programs. We talked about our work on components for experiments traveling on NASA rockets, and the many adventures of our graduated RoboDawgs in college.
We believe that the hands-on science of extracurricular robotics programs has a huge impact on the future of our students. Augmenting classroom instruction in science and math, our program makes concepts tangible. Hopefully our Michigan Senators and Representatives will continue to took for ways to support programs like ours with directed funding – and with initiatives that encourage teachers to get more involved with after-school education.
The primary objective for the RoboDawgs is to maintain a robotics program that is nationally recognized for quality and integrity, where elementary and middle school students aspire to be RoboDawgs, students come to Grandville Public Schools to be part of the program, and colleges recruit RoboDawgs like they do top high school athletes. To accomplish this, we:
- Improve the academic performance of all our students
- Teach our students to work as a team in the spirit of gracious professionalism
- Help all team members develop real-world engineering and technology skills
- Finish in the top half of all robots in the field competition at most robotics competition
- Graduate a large number of RoboDawgs into Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math programs at four-year universities
- Help all our students explore four-year college opportunities and apply for college scholarships
We had a great day in Lansing promoting the things our kids do – see some more of our photos below!